When searching for a blood pressure monitor that can be used at home, you may be shocked to find that there is a wide selection to choose from. This can make choosing the one that is best for your needs very difficult. While there are a variety of factors you should consider as you make your decision, the most important aspect involves accuracy. If you are currently looking for a blood pressure monitor, the following Panasonic EW3109W Blood Pressure Monitor review is certain to be beneficial. Let’s examine the features of the EW3109W, as well as take a look at user reviews and the pros and cons associated with it.
Table of Contents
Who Needs a Blood Pressure Monitor at Home and Why?
If you have been diagnosed with high blood pressure (defined as a blood pressure that is 140/90 or above most of the time), your physician may suggest that you purchase a blood pressure monitor that you can use at home. Typically this is done to help the physician establish whether or not your current treatment is effective. Other individuals who may find home blood pressure monitoring include pregnant women at risk for preeclampsia, patients with diabetes, kidney disease, and coronary disease, and elderly patients whose blood pressure frequently fluctuates. Having a blood pressure monitor in your home can provide peace of mind for anyone who has concerns about their blood pressure.
Features of the Panasonic EW3109W Blood Pressure Monitor
- Features an easy to read LCD display. If readings are higher than 139/ 89, the Flash Warning System will automatically alert you.
- Includes a comfortable, easy fit cuff that is designed to ensure correct use and precise readings. An extra large cuff (comfortably fits up to 17”) can be purchased separately if needed.
- Includes Digital Filter Technology to detect and separate the essential pulse oscillation from outside noises to ensure fast and reliable measurements.
- Safely inflates with the touch of one button.
- Stores up to 90 readings and offers an averaging feature to help you track and store readings over an extended period of time.
- When not in use, the cuff rolls around the monitor and can be stored in the included carrying case.
- Includes a 2 year limited warranty and a 24 hour customer service hotline.
Pros vs. Cons
– It is designed to easily be put on the arm using one hand and is simple to operate. As a result, you can check your blood pressure without any help from others. Self-help is a benefit!
– It is lightweight, can quickly be stored away in the accompanying carrying case, and is highly portable.
– It is easy to read and even alerts you if your readings are off.
– The cuff has a circumference of 15.8”, which can be too small for some people. However, a larger cuff can be purchased separately.
– This particular model’s ac adaptor has been discontinued, so it will always require 4 AA batteries.
– As a result of the memory feature, you cannot take a second reading without turning the unit off and then back on.
Quick Comparison to the Omron 7 Series Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor
When comparing the Panasonic EW3109W Blood Pressure Monitor to the Omron 7, the most obvious difference involves the placement of the cuff. The Omron 7 is designed to fit around the wrist making it easy to discreetly check your blood pressure regardless of where you are. A second significant difference concerns how to start the cuff. While the Panasonic can be activated with the touch of one button, the Omron automatically starts when the wrist is raised to heart level. Finally, the Panasonic is slightly less expensive (under $40) than the Omron.
While there are obvious differences between the two blood pressure monitors, there are also several similarities. They are both considered to be very accurate and alert the user to high blood pressures. Both were designed with easy portability in mind and can be stored in the accompanying carrying case. Finally, they both are able to store a large number of readings, although the Omron can hold slightly more at 100.
Customer ReviewsCurrently, the Panasonic EW3109W has more than 1,650+ reviews on Amazon and has scored an impressive 4.4 out of 5 stars. Most users compliment the monitor’s design and ease of use, as well as the affordable price. One user stated, “Blood pressure cuff is accurate, provides reproducible results, is fast, comfortable, easy to use, and inexpensive.”
A second reviewer wrote, “I found an exceptional cuff for under $40 that fits my arm (12”) and my husband’s arm (15.5”). I’m so happy with my purchase.” A final reviewer commented, “My doctor’s happy with the accuracy of this model and is impressed with how much it stores. My only complaint is that it’s a little tight and can be slightly uncomfortable.”
Common Questions and Answers FAQ
Q: Does it also measure your pulse?
A: Yes and it stores them as well.
Q: How well does it work with smaller (leaner) arms?
A: The lower limit of the cuff is 8.75” and it maintains its accuracy.
Q: Can a person take their blood pressure without assistance?
A: Yes, simply put the cuff on and hit the button.
Q: Can it be used on both arms?
A: Yes, as long as you do not have any health conditions that would prevent it from being used on either arms.
When you are purchasing a blood pressure cuff for use in your home, you need to be able to trust that it is accurate. Based on the Panasonic EW3109W review above, you can be certain that you are purchasing a dependable cuff for less than $40. While monitoring your blood pressure at home isn’t a substitute for a medical consult, they can prove to be an effective tool as you work to get or keep your blood pressure under control.