If you’re looking for a state-of-the-art fitness tracker as a gift for you or your loved ones then now’s the perfect time to invest in a Fitbit . Other trackers may look like a Fitbit, but they don’t compare when it comes to style, fit and function. Fitbit has the latest programs, like multi-sport recording, GPS tracking and wireless syncing – all packed in an attractive, durable package.
More importantly, their stats are displayed in real-time, something the competition can’t claim. Their activity trackers go above and beyond: they don’t just tell you when and how much you’re moving, they also tell you when you’re not moving enough and get you going. Plus, the newest models feature email and text capabilities, so you can keep in touch even when you’re on the go. There are many different types of Fitbit trackers, but don’t worry, we will tell you everything you need to know so you can choose the best Fitbit fitness tracker for you and your family.
Table of Contents
- 1 Choosing the Best Fitbit
- 1.1 The Fitbit Blaze 2016: Newer, Faster, Stronger
- 1.2 Fitbit Charge 2 Fitness Wristband (Best Seller 2016)
- 1.3 Fitbit Charge HR Wireless Activity Wristband (Our Best Seller 2015)
- 1.4 Fitbit Alta Fitness Tracker (2016 New Model): Beauty and the Beast
- 1.5 Fitbit Flex 2 – 2016 (Affordability Never Looked so Good)
- 1.6 Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Wristband (Best Budget Fitness Tracker 2016)
- 1.7 Fitbit Surge Wristband (Best GPS Watch in the Class)
- 1.8 Fitbit Zip Wireless Activity Tracker
- 1.9 Fitbit Benefits
- 1.10 Fitbit Devices: How Do They Compare?
- 1.10.1 Overall Design (Screens & Bands)
- 1.10.2 Overall Features
- 1.10.3 Heart Rate Monitor – How hard do I exercise and workout?
- 1.10.4 GPS – How far do I go on a walk or run?
- 1.10.5 Water Resistant – Water-proof or not?
- 1.10.6 Battery – how often do I need to charge my Fitbit?
- 1.10.7 Price – What’s the best deal and what I need?
- 1.11 Verdict
The name Fitbit is synonymous with excellence.Fitbit is one of the pioneers of wearable activity trackers. They introduced their first device back in 2009, before other technology companies even knew what they were, and they’ve never looked back. Fitbit has released several newer versions, each one better than the next. They may all have different features, but each has the same purpose: to make you more aware of your health and keep you fit.
Check out Fitbit Special Deals at Best Buy:
If you’re looking for the perfect gift then this is it. Fitness trackers are all the rage these days in our health-conscious society and the Fitbit is the most popular one- with good reason. Here are just some of the many reasons why you should get a Fitbit for the people in your life:
- Innovative Design: Every model is made to look sharp and sleek. Thanks to top-of-the-line materials you won’t even notice you’re wearing one because they are so lightweight.
- Outstanding Performance: These devices go well beyond the usual calorie/step-counters that are on the market. There are prompts when you’ve been sitting or idle for too long, GPS tracking to plan and monitor your runs, track your heart rate while you train and more.As a bonus, battery life is up to 7 days or longer, so you are not hassled by having to charge it all the time.
- Innovative Technology: With 8 built-in sensors, strap-free heart monitoring, split-screen comparisons and smartwatch capabilities this device has the latest, cutting edge technology to make life easier.
- In addition to all these great features, the Fitbit is reasonably priced: whether you want to spend a little or a lot, there’s a Fitbit for everyone on your gift list.
Choosing the Best Fitbit
Because we feel it’s important to educate yourself so you can choose the Fitbit that best serves your needs, we’ve created a list of the different models available and their capabilities:
- Display Size
- Steps, calories, distance
- Sleep quality & silent alarm
- Floors climbed
- Caller ID
- SMS / Text Message
- Continuous Heart Rate
- Music Control & Notifications
- GPS Tracking
- Multiple Sports
- ✔ (with phone)
- 5 Days
- Charge 2
- ✔ (with phone)
- 5 Days
- Charge HR
- 5 Days
- 4 Days
The Fitbit Blaze 2016: Newer, Faster, Stronger
The Blaze is Fitbit’s newest tracker and is packed with firsts in terms of looks and technology. The Blaze is Fitbit’s first true smartwatch, combining technology must-haves with athletic features for a whole new experience. Featuring customized band designs and a first-ever color touchscreen, users will be amazed by its design as much as by what it can do.
The Blaze’s main features include:
- An innovative design that includes interchangeable bands in polymer, leather or stainless-steel that come in a wide array of colors. There’s also a sleek octagonal high-resolution touchscreen that displays smart notifications, stats, time and more.
- Pure Pulse heart rate monitoring, which has been improved by adding new optical sensors that are able to track even the slightest movement 24/7, no buttons needed.
- Apps that help you exercise more efficiently, like Smart Track and FitStar. Smart Track is an exercise recognition feature and FitStar is a built-in coaching program you can access at any time- no phone or Bluetooth needed.
- Enhanced idle alert that revolutionizes and takes it to the next level. With the new alert you get a buzz every hour until you move- and it will keep buzzing until you walk at least 250 steps. This is great and makes it easier than ever for you to get in your daily activity.
- Smart notifications that you can silence, so you can work out without interruption when you want to and be notified of incoming calls when you don’t want to be disturbed.
Fitbit Charge 2 Fitness Wristband (Best Seller 2016)
With a bold blend of fashionable looks and ground-breaking new features that encourages healthy living, the Charge 2 is a step up from one of their best-sellers: The Fitbit Charge.
It takes Fitbit’s commitment and understanding of what it means to be healthy and elevates it to a higher level by incorporating physical and mental preparations to get you fit inside and out.
It has improved PurePulse heart rate tracking, giving you precision readings.
- Modern, Flattering Design: The Charge 2 has a modern touch screen and oversized face that is 4 times bigger than the original, as well as interchangeable bands and clock faces, making it look anything like a typical tracker.
- Regulate Breathing: Considered to be the Charge 2’s most intriguing and impressive new features, Relax mode uses PurePulse technology to teach you how control and level your breathing.
- Snap Shot Cardio: Another great extra that uses PurePulse, Snap chat cardio gives you a snap shot, or instant picture of your fitness level and score using your user profile, heart rate and exercise data to determine your VO2 Max level.
- This is ideal for helping to lose weight or make your current routine more challenging.
Fitbit Charge HR Wireless Activity Wristband (Our Best Seller 2015)
This enhanced version of the Charge won’t hit stores until January 2015, but based on tests and reviews it is well worth the wait for serious joggers and gym users. Sleek and stylish it does everything the original Charge can, plus it has a heart-rate monitor to really measure the intensity of your exercise regime.
It can tell you if you’re going to hard or not hard enough, so you can adjust as you go. There are also some great additional features, including:
- The heart rate monitor doesn’t require a strap or wire to track: it uses LED lights to measure blood volume which is a direct and accurate heart beat indicator.
- The Charge HR makes the perfect stocking stuffer for those who take their workouts to heart.
- iPhone users can use the mobile run app to map your hikes and jogs using their smartphone’s GPS.
- View run stats for the past month and see in-depth analysis showing steps calories and additional information.
Fitbit Alta Fitness Tracker (2016 New Model): Beauty and the Beast
The Alta is a sight to behold, taking everything that makes a Fitbit device great and making it extraordinary. With an emphasis on design and function it is a step above in key areas, most notably style and convenience. Its main features are:
- A sleek, rubberized band that comes in 7 colors, along with leather and metal band options for a truly customized look that can go from work to play.
- OLED tap screen that displays all your stats and notifications, giving you everything you need right at your fingertips. The screen also eliminates glare, so you can read it in any light.
- Smart Track: With Smart Track your device recognizes exercise moves and automatically records them without you having to log in or program it for quick, simple tracking- the way it should be.
- Caller ID, text and calendar notifications mean you always know what’s going on- even when you’re working up a sweat.
The Fitbit Flex 2 raises the bar on how an “affordable” tracker should perform and look, with features some smartwatches wish they had- like being waterproof. Yes, the Flex 2 is the first and only Fitbit that is waterproof, so you can wear it to swim, shower or run in the rain!
But that is just a small part of what makes it so special. With the head-turning ability to be worn on your wrist or around your neck like a necklace, there are luxury finishes and features that makes this part tracker and part statement piece.
- Striking, Simplistic Design: With a removable tracker and a variety of 7 band colors and multiple materials, the Flex 2 can take you from the pool to a night out without skipping a beat.
- Using a slim LED display, the Flex 2 uses colored lights to alert you when you hit goals and keep you informed of incoming calls and notifications.
- Luxury Accessories: Providing you with the ultimate in customization, Flex 2can be worn as a bracelet or a pendant.
With finishes in silver, gold or rose colored stainless steel and lariat style necklaces in the same finishes, no one will even know you’re wearing a tracker- unless you want them to.
- Swim-Proof/ Swim Tracking: Fitbit’s first swim-proof tracker is water resistant up to 50 meters, so you can safely swim in a pool, ocean, or dance in the rain. It also automatically records lap times and repetitions via the Fitbit App.
- Limited Smart Track: You can track select exercises, such as running swimming, biking and more automatically without programming it.
This versatile fitness tracker is perfect for beginners just starting to get in-shape or young adults who want a cool looking band. The Flex model comes in 5 colors: pink, blue, orange, gray and black so you can customize the gift according to who you’re buying for. Some of it’s key features include:Grab this deal before expiring at Amazon. (This is the best Entry Level Fitbit.)
- This model comes packaged with large and small wristbands, so users get the perfect fit. The bands are both durable and comfortable: you won’t even notice you’re wearing it.
- You can keep track of important stats, like calories burned, steps walked, distance covered and more as you go about the day.
- The Flex has a silent alarm that can be set to wake you and the device monitors your sleep quality for a clear picture of how restful you were.
- You can program daily goals and it will give you a readout throughout the day telling you how close you are to that goal.
- Battery lasts for about a week at a time, so you don’t have to constantly take it off to charge.
- Straightforward in design and use, this is a great tracker for those who like the simple things in life.
Fitbit Surge Wristband (Best GPS Watch in the Class)
This is the Muhammad Ali of workout trackers: a sleek, sturdy device that is packed with the latest in fitness and personal apps to suit all your needs. The Surge is a dream for anyone who is committed to their health and wants to get the most from their workouts. It is loaded with ingenious apps as well, so you can talk or text while you’re moving. What makes the Surge the best of the best? Let’s take a closer look:
- PurePulse Heart Rate: this wrist-based technology provides 24 hour tracking of your cardiac activity. It allows you to vary and tweak your training as it happens, so you maximize your workouts every time. Also shows you your resting heart rate, a good indicator of how much one’s overall health has improved.
- Multi-sport tracking: can monitor and record stats for multiple sports, like running, soccer,cross-training and anything else that gets your heart pumping. You can analyze data for each and compare too.
- Get notifications of calls, emails and texts right on your device: you can see and respond without your smartphone so you can really go hands-free. This model even allows you to control your music right on the screen as well.
- GPS tracking:The GPS feature records where you run, then displays it the next time you run that route so you can make sure you stay on the right path.
The Zip makes the perfect gift for people who think exercise is fun because this little device is both fun to look at and use. Smaller than the palm of your hand, the Zip can clip on to anything: your pocket, bra strap, belt or sock- no one will know you’re wearing it unless you want them too. What sets the Zip apart from other models? Fresh new features like:
- In addition to charcoal it also comes in bright, eye-catching colors: yellow, pink and blue, making it the perfect fashion accessory for those who want to make a statement.
- The Zip was made to make training fun: in addition to tracking stats like calories, steps and distance it also can sync to your PC or Bluetooth devices so you can compete and share stats with friends.
- There is a free app for iPhone and Android users to make connecting easy and so you can log information like what you ate for the day, track your weight and more.
- It is rain, sweat and splash-proof so you know it will last no matter what conditions you’re exercising in.
- A great gift for anyone who enjoys some friendly competition in their life.
All this in addition to the standard features that come with other models is why the Surge is the Tiffany’s of gifts.
No matter which fitness tracker you choose you will get your money’s worth. These tracker are different when it comes to the bells and whistles but they all offer you an accurate read out of your daily activities. It all comes down to who you are and who you’re buying for: moms will love the Charge because they can be reached quickly if their children need them, while businessmen will love the Surge because they can check work email or send out a quick text memo while working out. All of the devices have these key benefits:
- They make you aware of how physically active you are (or aren’t!), so you can improve your overall health.
- They motivate you to exercise and shape up with their fun apps and enhancements that get you excited about fitness.
- Their tracking ability helps you to customize your workout so you do it the right way- no more guessing if you’re burning calories, now you know.
Fitbit Devices: How Do They Compare?
To get a clear picture of which device best suits your needs you need to see how they stack up in each category. Let’s compare each model in the major categories:
Overall Design (Screens & Bands)
When it comes to appearance it is more than just preference, as you must consider comfort and versatility too.
The Blaze is by far the nicest, with its colored screen and stylish, interchangeable bands. In addition to the Fitbit elastomer sporty band there is a leather one and metal one. On top of that it has a colored touchscreen display that reduces glare and makes everything vibrant. If you want a device that looks sharp, this might be the right fit, provided you can afford it.
If you want something in a little lower price point, or that is a bit less fussy, the Charge HR has a lot to offer. It has OLED display with crystal clear screen that can be read in any light. Also, the Charge HR comes in multiple band colors and the elastomer is proven to be both comfortable and breathable.
If you want a model that can go from work to play, then you should consider the Alta. With its slim and stylish look it can be worn to work or for a night out, making it easier to use on a consistent basis. It is reasonably priced and meets professional and athletic needs, with a sharp OLED screen that gives you instant access to exercise stats, notifications and the time.
Finally, for those looking for something a bit more discreet the Flex or Zip may be the way to go. The Flex is slim and has a small display with LED lights to indicate progress. It also comes in 8 colors, making it appear more like a bracelet than tracker. The zip is even more discreet, so you can clip it under your shirt or on your belt, so no one even knows you’re wearing it.
All the devices track distance, calories, steps and sleep, but they differ in some individual features, which we will highlight.
The Surge, Blaze and Charge HR all have PurePulse, Caller ID and Smart Notifications while the Blaze and Surge both have SmartTrack as well.
The Blaze is the only one with FitStar and the Surge is the only one with built-in GPS.
Heart Rate Monitor – How hard do I exercise and workout?
When it comes to tracking heart rate the Surge, Blaze and Charge HR are the best choices. All 3 are fitted with PurePulse technology, the difference is in how it’s used.
The Surge is an ideal choice if you work out often and do different sports, as it has GPS to work in tandem with the heart rate monitor. GPS increases accuracy and also lets the Surge monitor heart rate according to specific activities.
The Charge HR and Blaze do not have built-in GPS, but they both have top-notch heart monitoring that tracks you every second of the day.
GPS – How far do I go on a walk or run?
When it comes to GPS tracking the Surge is the way to go. GPS is built directly into the device, meaning there is no need to carry your phone. This beats the Apple Watch, which uses a phone for GPS. GPS lets you track where and how long you run and walk. It helps making the stat more accurate.
The Blaze does have GPS when you sync to a phone, but carrying a phone while running can weigh you down and be a bit annoying.
Water Resistant – Water-proof or not?
The Flex 2 is the only one that is water-proof, meaning you can safely swim, shower or get caught in the rain. This opens up a whole new world to swimmers or those who want to swim and track.
None of the other Fitbit devices are waterproof, but the higher-end models (Surge, Blaze, Charge and Charge HR) are water resistant up to 5 ATM. That means you can sweat and get caught in the rain with it, but no swimming or showering (to be safe).
Battery – how often do I need to charge my Fitbit?
Battery life can be very important, depending on how much you travel and plan to use the device.
Of all the models the Surge gives you the most for your money, with 7 days of battery life. However, the Zip has a replaceable battery that lasts 4-6 months, an appealing option if you don’t want the hassle of charging your device.
The Blaze, Charge HR, Charge 2 and Flex all have 5 days of battery life.
Price – What’s the best deal and what I need?
While all of Fitbit’s devices are affordable, they do vary in price.
The Surge costs the most, at just under $250, but you get a lot for your money, most notably GPS. The Blaze come in under $200 and is a solid choice thanks to the colored touchscreen and features like FitStar. However, the different bands do cost extra and must be purchased separately.
For those on a budget you can also consider the Charge HR, which is under $140 and has heart monitoring, colored bands and smart notifications, giving you a pricey feel for a lot less. Finally, for those who want the most for their buck we suggest either the Flex or the Zip, which are both under $100.
The Alta is also a smart choice for those who are budget conscious. Although it does not have heart rate monitoring, at around $120 it is a steal thanks to its versatile styling and advanced exercise features.
You’ll have no problem choosing the best Fitbit fitness tracker now that you know what each of them can do. Consumers can’t stop talking about these devices because they really do change your outlook on physical activity for the better. Users are truly impressed by how much these Fitbit trackers have to offer and how clearly and accurately they display all you pertinent exercise facts. Your workouts will do a 360° turn for the better once you strap one on.
Of all the models, the Charge 2 and the Blaze have emerged as the top 2 choices among consumers, for different reasons. The Surge has long been the elite tracker of the group, but for those looking for even better features at a reduced price the Charge 2 is now the model of choice.
It is perfect for young professionals and provides a full-body experience that will soothe and exercise your mind and body. Packed with the latest technological advances, it has the best of both worlds, making it an excellent choice for those who want a device that performs on demand.The Flex 2 is also another great pick, especially for those in need of something stylish, affordable and highly functional. It can be worn in any setting and has the bonus of being water-proof, so it’s perfect for serious-minded fitness buffs, beginners and advanced and users.
Overall, all of these devices provide an all-around positive experience when it comes to living healthy. They make exercise easy and fun- which is the key to consistency and success. The Charge 2, Blaze and Surge give you state-of-the-art functioning that can’t be rivaled, while the Flex 2, Alta and Charge HR combine economy with performance.
Everyone who as ever used a Fitbit says the same thing: there is no better workout tracker on the market. Fitbit can’t be beated in price, packaging or usage. Whether you’re new to the gym scene or a seasoned pro you will love Fitbit and all it has to offer.