If you’re like most people, the word kettlebell probably conjures up images of bulky weightlifters. Well, erase that image because it’s all wrong. Kettlebells are the best kept secret in fitness. Versatile, dynamic and lightweight, anyone can, and should, use them to safely build muscle and get an intense cardio workout in half the time.
I’m here to make sure everyone does! My guide to the Best 5 Adjustable Kettlebells will clear up any confusion or misconceptions, educate you on how they work and give you a complete breakdown of the best models. Read on to discover the truth about these devices and find the one that works best for you.
Table of Contents
- 1 The 4 Best Adjustable Kettlebell Reviews
- 1.1 Stamina 36-Pound Adjustable Kettle Versa-Bell
- 1.2 Kettlebell Kings
- 1.3 Rocketlok 24-36 Adjustable Kettlebell
- 1.4 Empower 3-in-1 Adjustable Kettlebell
- 1.5 What an Adjustable Kettlebell Can Do for You
- 1.6 How to Use Adjustable Kettlebells
- 1.7 Easy Kettlebell Exercises You Should Know
Kettlebells: The Real Story
- Kettlebells are cast-iron weights that are round in shape and have a handle.
- Their shape allows for more manipulation in how it is held compared to dumbbells and other similar devices, for increased variety on routines.
- Today’s models are adjustable in weight, for increased versatility and accessibility, giving you a full body workout in half the time.
- Durable, yet lightweight, they are easy to handle and can be implemented into any routine.
The 4 Best Adjustable Kettlebell Reviews
Now that you understand and see what a kettlebell can do, it’s time to review the 5 top-rated kettlebells. Each of these models has something different to offer, and come at all different price points, so there is one for everyone.
The base is 16-pounds, and there are six 4 pound plates, so you can customize between 16 and 36 pounds, making it ideal for men and women. In addition, the fact that the plates fit inside save you space and make it easy to take if you travel. Great for beginners, body builders and those looking to strengthen their arms and shoulders.
You get your money’s worth, as this is 7 kettlebells in one. The base is 10-pounds, with six, 5-pound plates, so you can go from 10-40-pounds in an instant. It uses a secure, slide and lock mechanism to add weight, so you never have to worry about plates sliding out or falling and hitting your foot.It also helps distribute weight evenly throughout the bell, for a smooth motion every time. The lower weights are great for cardio or those with back issues, while the heavier weights work best for lifters and professionals. You can also mix up weight and movements, to push your body to its limit.
A good choice if you are a beginner or looking for a constant challenge.
Made of solid steel, this kettlebell sports a smooth handle that won’t irritate or cause cramping in your hands. Consisting of a 20-pound base and four, 4-pound cylinder weights that go from 24-36-pounds, the weights are impressive in both design and function.
They are constructed of solid steel, resembling circular tubes, and slide right into the bell through a side opening. The sides close using a polyurethane cap that locks, for a tight seal that keeps them firmly in place. More importantly, this design keeps the weight centered, for improved stability when exercising and even tension on your muscles.
Perfect for those who are serious about getting fit.
Great for women thanks to its lower weight and pretty shades of blue, this bell is a 3-in-1 that goes up to 12-pounds with it’s rarely seen twist and click patented weight system. Simply twist to go from 5 to 8 to 12-pounds.The handle is ergonomically designed and has a soft touch covering, so it won’t irritate or scratch up your hands. It also has the Swing Yourself Fit Total Body Workout DVD, featuring 3 different exercise routines from expert trainer Gin Miller, for a complete workout routine.
An exceptional value, particularly for women and those looking for an easy, light workout.
What an Adjustable Kettlebell Can Do for You
Kettlebells are a great way to lose weight, increase muscle tone and add variety to any exercise routine. Designed to give you a complete workout in just 20 minutes, they work with anyone’s schedule, and since they can be adjusted, they work with any body frame as well.
Among the many benefits of using a kettlebell are:
- Full-Body Conditioning: Using a kettlebell gives you both cardiovascular and resistance training benefits, improving muscle tone and increasing metabolism at the same time. This cuts down on exercise time while improving results as movements are more concentrated and expend more energy.
- Variety of Movements: When you use a kettlebell, there are a lot of traditional and non-traditional moves you can do, keeping you engaged mentally and physically. From kettlebell swings and squats, to windmills and traditional lateral pulls, there is no end to the ways you can work your various body parts.
This versatility continually works your muscles in different ways, keeping metabolism consistent and elevated. It also staves off boredom, so you’re more likely to stick with your routine.
- Engages Your Core/ Alleviates Back Pain: Unlike traditional dumbbells, kettlebells are not centrally balanced, so to stay stable while using them, you need to your core and glutes more. This not only translates into rock hard abs, but reduced back pain and pressure.
Using your core strengthens back muscles, improving range of motion and flexibility.
- Saves Time & Money: Kettlebells are small, and affordable, saving you time and money. Since they are capable to be adjusted, you just need one, as opposed to a weight bar and multiple weights. They take up less space, can go with you when you travel and are more efficient than traditional weights.
How to Use Adjustable Kettlebells
Most kettlebells have a similar system to adjust them, and it is both simple and safe. The top of the bell will have either a button or button/slide mechanism that you push or slide to unlock the kettlebell.
Note: each model is slightly different. Make sure to check the user manual coming along.
Once you unlock it, you can slide out or add, the amount of weight you need, depending on what the kettlebell can hold. When the weight is where you want it you simply slide/push the button back in place, locking the unit. Now you’re ready to go.
Easy Kettlebell Exercises You Should Know
For those who are unfamiliar with kettlebells, or just starting out, here are some exercises you can do. Of course, before starting any exercise routine, consult your physician first.
This is the most basic, and essential move you need to learn. The key is to use a fluid motion and keep your back straight throughout. You may want to try without the bell at first to get the hang of it.
Kettlebell swings are great for your hips, arms and thighs, as long as you do them right. To do them, start with legs hip wide and lean forward, legs slightly bent, with the kettlebell on the floor between your legs.
Hold the bell by the handle, and in one smooth motion, swing it back between your legs, then bring it up quickly to about shoulder height. Repeat 10-20 times to start.
Lateral Lunge and Biceps Curl
Start by standing with your feet together, the kettlebell in your right hand, palm facing in and down at your side. Step to the side in a lunge with your left leg, as you lean forward and lower the kettlebell to shin height. Then, curl the kettlebell up, wrist straight.
Lower the kettlebell back down and bring your left leg back to the starting position. Do as many as you can in 30 seconds, then switch sides (right leg lunging and left arm curling).
Begin standing with feet hip distance apart and grab the kettlebell with your hands on either side of the handle, weight facing up. Hold the bell chest height.
Lift the kettlebell towards the right side of your face and slowly bring it around the back of your head to the left side Repeat for 60 seconds at a time, continuously alternating directions (once around to the left, once around to the right).
Top 5 Adjustable Kettlebells: The Secret to Your Success Round-up
It’s a sure bet that having read my Best Kettlebells: The Secret to Your Success guide, that you are as keen on kettlebells as I am. This guide is proof positive of the many advantages that come from owning one of these multipurpose devices.
Whether you are just starting out or have been exercising for years, a kettle-bell can transform your routine and help you achieve your goals. They streamline workouts, saving you time while maximizing results, which will inspire and encourage you to keep going.
They truly are an all-in-one device that gets the job done and will make weight loss and maintenance something you look forward to. Convenient and simple to use, there is no reason not to own one. So stop making excuses and start getting in shape now.