So, you want to get a great workout; but can’t afford a fancy gym membership, home gym, or an expensive variation of dumbbells- what do you do? Luckily there are more cost-effective ways to get your exercise without spending a ton of money on exercise equipment. All you really have to do is buy the best adjustable dumbbell, and add weights as you need them.
Why an Affordable Adjustable Dumbbell Might Be Just What You Need
Table of Contents
- 1 Why an Affordable Adjustable Dumbbell Might Be Just What You Need
- 2 What to Look For in Adjustable Dumbbells
- 3 1. Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells (Pair) (Our Best Seller 2016)
- 4 2. One Pair of Adjustable Dumbbells Kits – 100 lbs Each) (The best Dumbbell for the Money – Under $200)
- 5 3. Universal Selectorized 445 PowerPak Adjustable Dumbbells with Stand (up to 45lbs)
- 6 4. PowerBlock Elite 90 Adjustable 5 to 90-Pounds per Dumbbell Set
- 7 5. Ironmaster 75 lb Quick-Lock Adjustable Dumbbell System with Stand
- 8 Before You Choose the “Top Rated Adjustable Dumbbell”, Consider:
- 9 Generally Adjustable Dumbbells come in Three Varieties:
- 10 In Conclusion: Which Adjustable Dumbbell Set is Right For Me?
They’re incredibly easy to use, and while every model is a little different, they give you dials, knobs, or locking screw options to higher weight increments without having to buy an entirely new dumbbell (like the weight between 25 lbs and 30 lbs).
Adjustable dumbbells are some of the most convenient pieces of workout equipment out there because they maximize your comfort and needs in a way that gives you the option to grow. Plus, they fit spectacularly in practically any room environment (such as your basement, living room, attic, bedroom, or office. You can just fit them into a small corner so they’re not in your way, and get fit while watching some TV in your free time.
What to Look For in Adjustable Dumbbells
When you’re choosing these kinds of dumbbells, you’re going to have a lot of choices. Some of the first things to consider about these types of products are the designs and weight variations. Many brands offer 5 lb increments, and others offer 2.5 lb increments.
You’ll also want to consider the brand. Popular brands like Bowflex, PowerBlock, Iron Master, Performance Fitness, StairMaster and Bayou Fitness are usually the most popular brands on the market, and all have their benefits and perks.
In this review on the Top rated Adjustable Dumbbells You Can Buy, We’re Going to Start With the Most Affordable Options and Work Our Way Down to the Premium Adjustable Dumbbell Models.
1. Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells (Pair) (Our Best Seller 2016)
Bowflex is well known for having high quality product designs, and this model is no different. The problem is that it’s easily grown out of- making it great for beginners and women who aren’t looking to build a ton of muscle. This is because It only builds up to a weight capacity of around 52.5 pounds.
The Bowflex SelectTech’s claim to fame is that it combines 15 weights into one, giving you a unique dial that lets you change things up on the go. This is better for many who find taking weights on and off all of the time bothersome. Plus, it comes with a complete 2 year warranty on all plates and parts, for a little over $270.
If you’re just starting out, or you’d like to have a dumbbell model that works well for endurance training, the Bowflex model could be just what you need. Because it’s so lightweight, you can use it for hundreds of workouts, no matter how muscular or trained you are in lifting. Because it’s lightweight and ergonomic, you don’t have to worry about hurting yourself or really “bulking up”.
If you’re really new to lifting, you’ll also appreciate Bowflex’s Free SelectTech workout DVD that comes with your purchase. Right now, they’re one of the hottest adjustable dumbbell discounts, selling on Amazon for about half of their suggested retail price.
It’s important to mention that this model wasn’t designed to take a lot of abuse. Rather, it was designed to be used from a squatting or seated position where you sit the weights on the floor. Even if you are in a professional gym, you aren’t supposed to drop the weights on the floor.
The biggest perks of this dumbbell set include:
- They’re great for beginners or people doing lengthy workout videos that need to change weights between repetitions. Compared to other models, the Bowflex design is the easiest to switch.
- They’re very affordable right now, making them in line to compete with other, more robust brands (with the effortless weight adjustments)
- Bowflex is a premium name, offering a premium 2 year warranty.
Some cons to consider include:
- These aren’t the sturdiest weight set out there, but you would kind of expect it with all of the adjustability.
- They aren’t really built for people building muscle, just people toning and cutting muscles with endurance routines. Realistically, there are only a few exercises that you’d need 50 pounds or more for (such as lawnmowers or chest presses) UNLESS you were focusing on weight lifting, so it isn’t a major concern.
2. One Pair of Adjustable Dumbbells Kits – 100 lbs Each) (The best Dumbbell for the Money – Under $200)
Check Price on Amazon
This particular set of adjustable weights was built specifically for the strongman in you. You’ll feel extraordinarily tough pressing these hunks of metal into the sky. Plus, they’re extremely affordable, around $200 for the set, and what you’ll find is that it’s the largest amount of weight offered in most models.
While the paint isn’t sturdy as you might expect and some of the higher priced models; it really doesn’t matter for someone who’’s looking for a set of weights they could probably use until the day they die.
As you might also expect, this set of dumbbells is pretty cumbersome to use, and you probably won’t be changing it much between sets. That being said, the turning mechanism is solid (even though you should check and make sure that everything is tight before you start another set).
This could save you a ton of money over other, more expensive models, as long as you’re okay without having a bunch of features. Sometimes models have features that are just too good to pass up.
Simply put, you’ll never find a set of adjustable dumbbells this is Affordable as this set. You might want a better model for easier use, and you might even want to buy a smaller lift bar- but you can afford to make these purchases and more, accessorizing this affordable set of adjustable dumbbells to your heart’s content. They’ll still be some of the best weights you can get for the price (but they might not be for everyone).
The Biggest Pros of this model are:
- The size and weight limit are perfect for people looking for weight lifting sets. It’s unlikely that the average guy would ever grow out of these affordable dumbbells.
- The design is sturdy and reliable. You don’t have to worry about the bar breaking on you, even if the product is affordable.
- Free, fast shipping. Most of the people who purchased this product received it in just a few days (although some received several packages instead of just one), and shipping is completely free (through USPS).
Some Negatives about these Adjustable Dumbbells would be:
- There are a few add-on costs you might not have considered. Some people sprayed the iron down with spray paint to prevent chipping, while others bought shorter bars that were easier for smaller people to use.
- There’s no rack with this model, so you’ll have to figure out how to store the weights.
- The locking mechanism gets loose after use. You have to double-check and ensure everything is screwed together tightly.
Universal Power Pack delivers a product that easily fits in your room and gives you lots of options when it comes to lifting weights. The first standout feature of this model is that it comes with its own easy to you stand. This makes it even easier to switch the weight sizes that you’re going to use, giving you up to 18 different sizes of dumbbells in one product, at a great price.
The Universal PowerPak adjustable dumbbell is the first model that we’ve reviewed that offers twist-lock technology that leaves the weights you’re not lifting right where they are. Another standout feature about this model of weight is that they’re very ergonomic and well built.
These dumbbells were specifically designed not to take up space in your home. Most users of this product preferred this model to the Bowflex 552’s, giving you ease of use, speed changing abilities, and even confidence that the weights are built well enough to hold over your head. Even further, most users were perfectly happy with 5 lb increments (compared to 2.5 pound options), but all of this versatility comes at a slightly higher price. Most users are very happy with this product, especially after following a training regimen like P90X, Beach Body, or Insanity.
Pros of this affordable dumbbell set:
- Comes complete with a stand to save weight
- Very secure and excellent build quality
- Easy to use, with no wasted energy of motion or time
Cons of the Universal PowerPak Adjustable Model:
- Pricier than Bowflex models right now
- Even though the weights are secure, they still slide around a little bit, which can be unnerving for some users
- Many users eventually need more weight (because these ones do the job so well that they build tons of muscle)
PowerBlock Elite created one of the most high quality set of dumbbells that you can find, and they’re available in a wide variety of styles ranging from 50 pounds to 290 Pounds giving you up to 90 pounds of weight her hand with a design that feels great, is very secure, and replaces over 28 pairs of dumbbells. One of the things that really sticks out about this model is the durability, most reviewers said they’re well worth the price because they fill a huge void in any lifter’s arsenal.
Unfortunately, the design is kind of funky with 4 pillars around your hand and wrist. it’s kind of difficult to switch weights when you’re looking for smaller increments, and most users recommended using 10 pound intervals to reduce the time that it takes to change weights. That being said, they’re some of the most well-built dumbbells you will find on the market, and they set the standard that most professionals judge an adjustable weight set by in reviews.
They’re made in America, built to withstand the test of time, and look incredibly high tech when you’re lifting them. If you had these dumbbells in your hand one thing you would notice is house move and effortless the operating mechanism is, and how easily the additional plates are added in to make your job of lifting that much easier. It really doesn’t get much better either, the shape is contorted enough that it’s comfortable to lift, seamless to engage, and highly enjoyable to lift.
One thing that reviewers mentioned was making sure that nobody dropped the package. It was noted that the design is very heavy and everything is shipped together, so when they received it, they thought nothing of damage to the box. When they added the expansions, they realized that the dumbbells were bent out of shape and wouldn’t fit right when they were added. The comment was made that flexible crossbars on this model wouldn’t have bent (so make sure you aren’t regularly dropping them).
Pros of the PowerBlock Set of Adjustable Dumbbells:
- Very well-built and easy to change weight with, even if they’re in your hands.
- Solid system, without any noise, creaking, or shifting of weight
- Very high tech looking- plus you get all of the fancy features of other models.
Cons of PowerBlock:
- The heavier model is pretty expensive, topping out at under $600. If you’re serious about lifting, the price might be right for you
- Kind of awkward to lift and operate regularly, making other models a little more appealing.
- Some exercises are kind of difficult with the square-like design (such as skull crushers for your triceps), and you had better make sure the magnetic pins are in place, holding back the weight.
If you’re looking for one of the highest quality, shiniest Kama most durable dumbbells on the market look no further than the Ironmaster 75 pound Quick-lock adjustable dumbbell system. Most users say that the Iron master is well worth the price and very traditional looking and feeling. If you decide you need more weight the Iron master provides the largest kit expansion you can find 125 pounds each. Snother big factor that stands out about the Ironmaster set is that it’s not awkward in your hands, like the power block set. It’s excellent for press exercises, and it’s very well made and that it switches from increments and weight from 2.5 to 5 pounds all the way to 75 pounds per hand.
What this means is that you get the best exercise possible with this dumbbell system, therefore users who like heavy weights, and expect to do overhead exercises without a flimsy dumbbell that’s going to rattle in their hands. These dumbbells are exceptionally well-designed when it comes down to it, because they provide the versatility and style that you need to keep moving forward through increasingly difficult workout, easily shifting weights to meet your needs.
Another hugely beneficial aspect of the Iron master said is it it comes with a lifetime warranty, and it’s incredibly super space efficient. The whole set takes up less than 2 square feet of space. I let you use your system anywhere at any time, and even provides a stand and exercise poster to help you maximize your workout and make the most of your experience.
At $600 it comes at a pretty hefty price tag, but you’ll like it more than you like any of the other options provided here. When you decide that you can lift more weight, you can opt for the $300 expansion and provide more ways than you’ll ever need for practically any work out anywhere.
The pros of the Ironmaster Quick Lock Adjustable Set Include:
- An excellently designed, well built stand
- The optimum usability and warranty outof any product listed on this review
- Incredibly easy to use shifting design mechanism to help you change weights in the blink of an eye
- The ultimate construction with durable welded steel and chromium.
The cons of this premium adjustable dumbbell set are:
- It’s pretty costly; which makes it a solid choice for people who know what they want, and know that they’ll use this product practically every day.
- You have to manually add and remove weights, so it takes some time to get quick at doing it.
- Kind of time consuming at smaller weights, so many users opt for a model that’s between 15-40 pounds.
Before You Choose the “Top Rated Adjustable Dumbbell”, Consider:
The overall space you have for your adjustable dumbbell set
Compared to professional lifting sets, adjustable dumbbells are miniscule, but they can still be sizable for a small home. It can be tempting to pick a set that’s huge or full of accessories, but you need to be able to store it easily or it’ll get tucked into a storage unit.
Usually, weight sets max out at 50 or 100 pounds. Think about how strong you’d like to be, not how strong you are right now; otherwise you’ll outgrow your weight set. Most adjustable dumbbells come in 5, 2.5, or 1 pound increments, so you’ll be able to meet your fitness needs, no matter which variety you pick (as long as it’s not too light).
How easy the dumbbells are to adjust
While it sounds pretty obvious to “buy high quality adjustable dumbbells,” it can be harder than you might think. While it’s sometimes smart to cut corners on costs, most of the time you should always choose the ones that are the easiest to use. If you’re on a tight budget, go for the spin lock type (with screws) but remember that you’re spending time putting everything together, and then taking everything apart.
To Stand or Not to Stand?
You probably hadn’t considered how to store your new adjustable dumbbells, but you should! Some varieties use shelving to help keep your new weight set out of the way. Other sets don’t; which can be inconvenient to store (unless you can put them in a basement or on the floor).
Warranties and Guarantees
Probably the biggest consideration that you should make (besides the cost) is whether your adjustable dumbbell purchase comes with a high-quality warranty. Many warranties cover every aspect of a product’s malfunction (including parts, labor, or anything else that could go wrong).
Generally Adjustable Dumbbells come in Three Varieties:
1. Dial a Weight
These types of models generally allow you to select the weight that you want to lift right from the dumbbell. These designs are convenient in that they leave the weights you don’t need in the holster. They’re usually the most expensive style of adjustable dumbbell, however.
2. Spin Lock
Most adjustable dumbbell models use weight plates that are held together with a lok, and you just add the amounts of weight that you want to the dumbbells, then locking the weight in place.This might sound like a lot of work, but that’s why spin lock models are often the most affordable adjustable dumbbells you can buy.
3. Selector Pins
Selector pins let you dial a weight to add or remove plates when you lift, but you have to pick the amount of weight you want. Everything else is left behind in the dumbbell holder. These models are often located right in the middle when deciding on adjustable dumbbell models.
In Conclusion: Which Adjustable Dumbbell Set is Right For Me?
When it comes down to it, it really doesn’t matter if you buy the cheapest set on Amazon, are the most expensive set known to man it all comes down to how you treat them. Make sure that your regularly removing the weights from your device if it’s not in use. Also if your adjustable dumbbell set use as a pin or clip make sure that that pin or clip is in excellent working condition every time you use it, especially before you lift weights over your head.
Hopefully, this adjustable dumbbell review highlighted many of the things reviewers had mentioned about these products as well as the best features and drawbacks that we can find. Make sure to choose the most comfortable ergonomic set you can find to guarantee the best workout possible, and when it comes down to it make sure you put your all into it! That’s the most important part of exercising anyways.
>> Check out other Adjustable Dumbbells and other Customer Reviews at Amazon Here. <<