With 2015 right around the corner, plenty of people are likely to make New Year’s Resolutions involving losing weight and getting into shape. If you are one of these people, you may want to consider investing in a fitness tracker. However, with a large number of fitness trackers on the market, it can be almost impossible to even know where to start when purchasing one. The following offers a detailed Basis Peak Ultimate Fitness Tracker review to help you determine if it is the right fitness tracker for you.
What is a Fitness Tracker?
A fitness tracker is a device that resembles a watch, but it is able to do far more than simply tell time. It tracks fitness related metrics, such as number of steps taken, distance covered, number of calories burned, and much more. More advanced fitness trackers are capable of monitoring everything from heart rate to body temperature, sleep schedule, and more.
Who Would Benefit From a Fitness Tracker?
A fitness tracker is the perfect instrument for anyone who is working to get in better shape and wants to monitor as much of their progress as possible. It is also ideal for someone who is trying to reach certain fitness goals or motivate themselves to improve their overall health.
Key Features of the Basis Peak Ultimate Fitness Tracker
- Constructed of lightweight aircraft-grade aluminum.
- Can be worn up to four full days without being charged.
- Water resistant to 5 ATM (165 ft.)
- Tracks your skin temperature, perspiration, movement (including biking, running, and walking), and heart rate.
- Tracks your sleep cycles, including REM, and provides in-depth data regarding the quality of your night’s sleep. The app breaks down your sleep into REM, deep, and light sleep, as well as tracks how often you tossed and turned and how many times your sleep was interrupted.
- Includes Basis’ Habits System to assist you in making changes to your activity and sleep patterns. You can set goals, such as take 1,000 steps within 4 hours of waking up, and the habits screen will let you know how close you are to meeting your goal.
- Has an easy to read Dashboard that allows you to take a quick look at your most recent activities.
- Features a Charting section that details all the data that has been collected and plots them on a timeline. You can view your stats for any given period during the day.
- Includes Activity Feed that offers an outline of your day’s activities, such as the number of steps you have taken, calories burns, resting heart rate, what activities you have been involved in, and more.
- Compatible with iPhone and Android. Works with Android and iOS (some Android 4.4.2 BLE phones, iOS 7, and iPhone 4s.
- Other Exclusive Features that you can’t find with others
There are plenty of benefits associated with owning this fitness tracker. They include:
Unlike many fitness trackers and sports watches, the Basis Peak has a sleek and polished look that can be worn with anything. In addition, it is light and slim.
The size of the watch makes seeing your stats easy and the strap in pliable and soft. As a result, it is a discreet, yet comfortable fitness tracker.
The heart rate monitor is extremely accurate and can detect any changes in your heart rate almost instantly. In addition, the tracker can instinctively tell whether you are walking, running, or sleeping.
Set up is surprisingly easy. Simply turn it on, download the app, and sync it with your phone. You will be required to put in your personal stats and then it is ready to go. You never have to worry about changing modes. It does it automatically.
The only thing currently displayed on the main screen is the time. To check your heart rate, as well as see how many steps you have taken and how many calories you have burned, you must swipe the screen to the left.
At this time, there is no silent alarm or notification features available. However, Peak has announced that this feature will be available soon (possibly by mid December).
Unfortunately, data collected on your Basis Peak cannot be synched with other apps, such as My Fitness Pal. However, the company is working on this feature and it may be available in the future.
It doesn’t measure the distance you have traveled.
Compared to the Alpha Strapless Continuous Heart Monitor
There are two significant differences between the Basis Peak and the MIO Alpha I Strapless Continuous Heart Rate Monitor. One, the Peak tracks fitness and sleep, while the Alpha only measures fitness. Two, the Alpha is compatible with your favorite 3rd party fitness app, while the Peak is not. Otherwise, they are quite similar in appearance and capabilities, although the Alpha only has a battery life of 20 to 24 hours. Finally, the Peak is available for slightly less than $200, while the Alpha is slightly more affordable at around $130 only.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do you charge the battery?
A: The battery is charged using the enclosed magnetic docking station and USB cord. Essentially, you can drop the watch on the docking station and it will begin to charge. However, the USB cord is available when needed.
Q: Can Bluetooth be disabled to preserve the battery life?
Q: Does it have GPS capabilities?
Q: What color options are available?
A: Currently there are two options: brushed metal/white and matte black/ black.
Q: Will my old carbon steel accessory or B1 strap fit the Basis Peak?
A: Unfortunately, no. The Basis Peak is a completely new design and carbon steel and B1 straps do not fit this device.
Currently, there are more than 50 Basis Peak Fitness Tracker reviews available on Amazon with the consensus being that it is “the BEST fitness AND sleep tracker on the market.” Although several reviewers did state they felt that would enjoy this fitness tracker even more when a software update was available allowing the Peak “to get phone, text, and email notifications as well as 3rd party integration with apps.”
As you can clearly see based on this Basis Peak Tracker Review, the Basis Peak is currently one of the top fitness trackers on the market. This is largely due to its ability to automatically switch modes and track both workouts and sleep. With the company currently working on software updates designed to make it function more like a smartwatch, it will only get better with time.